you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

There is no rhyme for Hummus.

Friday, January 14, 2011

I was going to title this post something cute- an equivalent of such titles as "Playing hookie for a cookie," or "Oh gosh do I love squash," But there is no rhyme for Hummus.  The closest word you can find is one just ending in "us" like nucleus or hypothalamus.  What fun is that?  "I go ape for middle-eastern basil garlic Hummus. as does my almond-sized hypothalamus."  errr..... something....

Despite it's seclusion from all words of rhyming influence, Hummus is actually quite the culinary companion for a lot of food words such as pita chips, homemade bread, tortilla chips, veggies, crackers and chocolate cake.  Just checking to see if you actually were reading or just skipping through to get to the pictures and actual recipe. That's right- I got your number, you blog skimmers (and to that you could simply say "It takes one to know one" and I wouldn't argue).  Since I know how much you love to read and read and read mundane facts, I thought I'd just post a link to the interesting origin of Hummus and get right on to the recipe. Woot!  This is SO SO SO much better than any I've tried from the store.  I also like that there is no added oil- a lot of recipes add evoo, but there is enough natural oil present in the tahini (which can be found at sprouts in the nut spread isle. Yes, they have a nut spread isle).



Hummmmmus
4 cloves garlic
2 cups or 1 can Garbanzo beans- also known as Chickpeas (reserve liquid)
1+1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste- or sub peanut butter)
6 Tbs Lemon Juice (2 lemons)
8 dashes hot sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
6 Tbs of the reserved Garbanzo bean liquid

Puree together in a food processor.
____________________________________________

yup, that's it.  So nummy.

You can add whatever you want to flavor it differently.  here are some ideas:
roasted red pepper
basil
italian parsley
toasted pinenuts
cilantro
sun-dried tomato
olive
lemon
chocolate cake

Yeah, I must be craving chocolate cake today. lawl.
Enjoy, y'all.

1 comments:

peachytiffers said...

Who loves hummus among us? :)

Skim?! Pish, posh! Who does that?!