you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

Superstition Mountains- Hieroglyphics Canyon

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heya peeps! Our hike this morning was sooo perfect! The weather was nice, we started at the best time, the trail was an endurance test rather than strength training, there were a lot of animals about, and the canyon was beautiful!

We set out at 5:15am - the trail was rocky and there was a good steady incline. We were in the shadow of the mountain until the last 15 minutes of the return trip so our timing was perfect.  We encountered a lot of animals on our hike including rabbits, snakes, and lizards. Once we got to the spring we spent about 45 minutes checking out the pools full of mating frogs, petroglyphs, mortar holes in a rock, and a huge rock shelter. We didn't see anyone else on the trail until the last 20 minutes and they were wishing they had set out earlier.  I had so much fun hiking with my peeps! Enjoy the Pics! (Thanks, Brittney, for taking the pictures!)
Tonto!

Three Amigos: Brittney W, Josefina W, and Me W.










umm- I'm a dork.
just before sunrise!
The springs- not so springy, but hey, in the desert water is water
(I guess water is water everywhere else, but we appreciate it more here :)
There were more petroglyphs- these were just the
first we saw so we got all excited and took pictures :)
TONS of mating froggies in the pools- they just swam around attached like that- I wonder how long they stay that way.  They were also REALLY loud.
ummm yeaaaahhh.....
(that was for you, Brit.Lawl)
awwww..how... interesting
Cool Large Rock Shelter

On our way back down
Mortar holes in the rock- where the natives ground their corn, flour, etc..
What a great morning!  Goodbye Mountains!

If anyone wants to hike next saturday I'll let you know where we'll be going by Thursday. Let me know!

4 comments:

Brittney said...

Awesome! Lawl!! Looking forward to next week. :)

P.S. I do have pics of more of the glyphs if you want 'em.

Bunka's said...

may i JOIN you in a couple of weeks????
will you still be going?
i love this!

Stephanie Shumway said...

Cassidy-Of course! just let me know when you'll be here :)
Brittney- send me everything you've got!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good time, those were some nice pics. Let me know where you're going next in case I can come! :)