you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

TABATA

Monday, January 30, 2012

I don't know if I've told y'all about tabata training, but it's supposed to be the best way to tone and get aerbobic exercise.  Since you are doing 20 seconds of intense reps followed by 10 seconds of rest  you get your heart rate up doing things you wouldn't think of as aerobic, so you can build muscle AND burn calories AT THE SAME TIME (8- 20/10 second sets of the same exercise, then you do another 8 sets of some other exercise and so on).
You can choose whatever exercises you want- sometimes its nice to have them written down beforehand and beside your yoga mat.  Today I did Spread-Eagle situps, shoulder presses (you may need to use lighter weights), side glute/leg lifts 2x (Otherwise referred to by my bootcampers as Shumways), tricep pulls, jumping jacks, bicep curls, uhhh my brain is failing me on the others, but you get the idea-  anything you want as long as you are doing them as fast and as hard as you can for those 20 second intervals.

Yay.  I'm a limp noodle right now after today's workout,
but it feels dang good. 
Here is a free online Tabata timer:
I use the Brittish man's voice for the countdown.  :)
Have fun, crazies!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

What about the color run? Did you do that craziness?
Oh, and King and I opens this weekend, don't come Saturday night cuz I won't be performing, but do come and see me...uh ....I mean the show.

Stephanie Shumway said...

No, I didn't- I had planned on it, but until this week I had been driving Aaron to work at 5:30 every morning and so I didn't have to time to consistantly exercise and get ready for it. Now I'm back in the game. And I'll be seeing you next week!! uhh I mean seeing the show.... dot dot dot... :)