you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

Do NOT do this at home.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Soooo.. In Dominica the bread is ridiculously bad.  It's dry and flavorless.  Which means all of us student spouses get to make bread if we want our families to have yummy sandwiches.  I came up with a recipe that I love and I started to bake and sell it to other students and families.  It's called my Sweet Wheat Oat Top Bread.  Well, tonight I made a few loaves, turned the oven's gas on and lit it inside, then went in the other room to do something else while I waited for it to preheat. 
**side note: There aren't gas companies here like there are in the US.  If you want to cook you have to fill your propane tank and hook it up to your oven.  Sometimes when a shipment hasn't come in for a while we will have propane shortages.  It really stinks when your tank runs out in the middle of baking bread.  THE WORST. bleh.**
Well, when I came back in to put the bread in I opened the oven and it wasn't hot. Noooooooo! The propane ran out!  Ug.  It was too late at night to go use someone else's oven.  I thought MAYBE I could kind of coax a little propane out if I shook the tank a little.  I turned on and off the gas knob again (BTW there aren't temperature settings on the oven.  just numbers 1-4 and you have to guess about where 350° would be) and then got a match to tryyyy and light the stove.

SCREEEEEAM!  A HUGE fire ball exploded in my face!  I looked down and my cut off shorts were on fire and I patted them out.  I ran to the shower and stripped down in a matter of seconds.  As I stood there in the freezing cold heaven sent stream of water I just started to sob.  It hurt so bad and I knew I couldn't stay in the water forever.  My upper right arm killed, as did the inside of my right leg. When I finally got out I looked at my face.  My eyelashes and eyebrow on the right side were all curled up.  That was sure a horrible night to get through. ouch.
I guess the flame I lit in the oven to preheat it had somehow gone out- maybe when I shut the oven door.  The gas had been working all along and just filling up the oven.  When I opened it- and left it open while I jiggled the gas tank- the cloud of gas was slowly enveloping me.  Then like a dope, I lit my fate.  Well, Darwin, you haven't gotten me yet.  I'm still alive and kickin.

0 comments: