you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

First Day of School!

Thursday, August 7, 2008



What a great day! It's so happy and sad at the same time! Megan started school yesterday at Benjamin Franklin Charter school. She was so cute with her little backpack. She was ready to leave us as soon as we got back by the flag pole and just lost herself in this crowd. AHH!
Every day at 8:10 they all get in their class lines facing the flag and recite the pledge of allegiance, sing a patriotic song, and then learn and recite a short poem all together (K-8). As the classes leave to go to their rooms, everyone skip counts... 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.... and then once they reach 100 they choose another number to skip by... 5, 10, 15, 20.....
Megan loved that when the principal, Mr Lee, said "good morning everybody!" and the school said "Good morning, Mr Lee," He said "No, no, I want to HEAR you! GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY!" "GOOD MORNING MR. LEE!!!" She told me later, "Mr. Lee REALLY likes it when we say good morning to him! He also really likes straight lines. We have to stand like soldiers!"

We know a few people who have their children here- Luke Denton, Alex and Julie Matheson, Stacy Weber (who used to be in our current ward), Scott and Ruth Potter(from our very first ward in Gilbert), Lillian and Chris Knapereck (from our Tempe ward) and Justin and Brittany Rohner (went to my HS)



Here is Megan after school with her teacher Mrs. Memmott (When she first heard Mrs. Memott's name she gasped and said, "Oh what a beautiful name!") After we got home she told me what a great time she had and how they learned to draw a circle (Luckily they start out slow but have a condensed curriculum, so it won't be circle drawing all year long :o). She did her homework and was so excited to go back today (Matthew was crying because I told him to look at the camera and smile, but his eyes hurt from waiting for Megan in the sun, so I just took the picture anyway. Poor boy!).


Here is panoramic pic of Megan's School- Don't you love the mountains? Click on it to get a larger view.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Megan looks so grown up in her school clothes and so happy to be there. I know she'll do great. I hope Matthew isn't too sad when she's gone.

Allison said...

Hi - you don't know me, I just got a new calling and was searching around on sugardoodle and came across your blog. It's really cute, I couldn't help but smile when I realized you must live nearby. My kids go to Franklin as well and love it. They are in 7th, 5th & 1st grade, this is their 2nd year going there. Anyways - have a GREAT week!