you have connected to the most awesome blog in the galaxy. Lucky you. Read away. And dont be a lame spammer. cuz that's lame and stuff.
My photo
Glanvillia, Saint John, Dominica
i am a mom/wife/textile designer gone haywire. I love to sing(music/arts AA degree), craft, exercise, and be goofy. Just living life outside the norm. And the norm thanks me for it. Oh yeah, and I like me some haikus. . . . . . . . . . What are we up to currently? Aaron recently started medical school at Ross University on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean, and the kids and I are along for the crazy ride :)

Heya Sugar...

Friday, August 6, 2010

I was not going to post this.  I was going to just keep it to myself, but I decided that posting would guarantee a sort of accountability so here I go:

My name is Stephanie Shumway and I am a sugar addict. 

I can't just eat one cookie.  Once I have one, I have to eat them until they're gone. ESPECIALLY if there is milk involved.  In the last couple weeks I have eaten a whole batch of snicker doodles, a whole 1/2 gallon of Reeses icecream, 2 pieces of Tiramisu Cake (this is my favorite food and 2 pieces is REALLY good for me.. I used to eat a whole sheet cake in a week) various untracked candy snacks like tootsie rolls and a candy bar and a half... oh yeah, and brownies. oh and creampuffs, oh and Brittney's Trifle and dang delectable peanut butter bars. hum-uh-nuh   hum-uh-nuh.....
Needless to say, I gained a little weight. It's a good thing I exercise to combat the weight gain cause, seriously, I would've doubled in size, and it's a good thing I have access to insulin to combat the sugar cause I think I would've gone into a coma had I not. Do I have an addiction?

Here is what Catherine Morgan has to say about it:
Webster Dictionary defines addiction as…


a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.


Thankfully, I’ve never been addicted to alcohol, drugs, or even cigarettes…But I do have symptoms of withdraw when I try to stop eating sugar, and when I am eating sugar I crave more and more of it (even when I know it is contributing to weight gain, and negative affects on my health). So I guess it does feel like an actual addiction.


Ahem. this being said......


I AM GIVING UP SUGAR!
Today I detox. No more refined simple sugar for me.  I will still be eating breads and the like, but hope to limit those very extensively. I will still be eating naturally occuring complex sugars, but I won't be drinking juices and I've already given up soda pop-even diet. 
Yay WATER!  I'll be starting David Kirsch's nutrition plan on Monday and plan to track everything with a food journal


Do you have a food addiction or just need to get healthy and in shape?  Join in!
-Pick a food to eliminate out of your diet (Soda pop is a good start) and remove it from your house!
-Even if you don't have a nutrition plan, at least make healthy choices- here are some healthy recipes
-Amp up the exercise! You can always join me for a good workout at 5am at ASU East Campus and/or go hiking with us on Saturdays. You can't argue with FREEEEEEE! (but you CAN argue with sore- I died at Yoga Friday today! Awesome)
-Get a buddy!  Things like this are always easier if someone is doing it with you. Especially your spouse!
-Tell people about it!  The more you tell people, the more accountable you are for your decision.


Here is what other bloggers are saying about sugar addictions:


Falling off the Clean Eating Wagon…


Over the weekend, I was at the Newport Jazz Festival where I was inspired by the fabulous music and gorgeous weather…and tempted by the notion of being away and carefree. And that clean eating I pride myself on was well, semi-clean at best (don’t ask me about the greasy breakfast sandwich, ice cream and strawberry shortcake — you get the idea).


From That’s Fit – Slash Sugar to Drop Weight…


The American Heart Association is now urging everyone to cut back on sugar intake. Easier said than done, since sugar is present in many food items, like commercially packaged bread. Still, you should try, because Americans are consuming an average of 22 teaspoons a day.


From Body Acumen – Teaching Kids To Eat Healthy…


This may seem obvious, but somehow we stubborn Americans often don’t understand that if we don’t want our children to do something, we shouldn’t facilitate it. (I know you’ve seen that episode of Geraldo, Oprah, Dr. Phil, whoever, where the parent comes with her toddler and states, “she dresses like a whore.” Hello, who bought her those clothes?!?!) If you don’t want your child to eat twinkies, don’t buy them, even if you like to secretly eat them yourself.


From Girl Get Strong – How to Cut the Sugar and Sweets From Your Diet…


The American Heart Association recently released recommendations for added sugars – and they say “slash slash slash” it way down. According to their position paper, the usual intake of added sugars for Americans was 22.2 teaspoons per day (355 calories per day) in 2001-2004. American Heart Association would like to see American women consume no more than 100 calories per day and men no more than 150 calories per day from added sugars. Why? Excessive consumption of sugars has been linked with several metabolic abnormalities and adverse health conditions, as well as shortfalls of essential nutrients.


From My Year Without Sugar – American Heart Association Recommends Less Sugar…


As we enter into the “Age of Transparency” cutting down on sugar should become easier. As we, the consumer, demand more nutritious foods and less sugary junk food, the food producers will scramble to satisfy our demand. This is not going to happen overnight, but I have high hopes that the pendulum will swing in favor of health food.


Here's a little sugar-free treat- if you read this whole post look back up at the candy picture and click on it- it's a Magic Eye Picture :)

6 comments:

Flutterby said...

Good for you. Lot better now than when your doctor says cut it or face a heart attack. Earlier is better.

Erica said...

Tell me more about this 5 am workout at ASU East. That is super convenient for me.

Sandra said...

I have been sugar free for a little over a year now. Not completely because I did eat a bit of my mom's candy at Christmas and a there was birthday cake at the kids' birthdays, but overall I don't eat it. I read my labels and know which brands add sugar or artificial sweetners (don't use them either). Then I gave up white flour and other refined and modern processed foods. and I lost about 20 lbs!

This summer my goal was to reclaim my habit of exercise so I took up hiking 3 times a week and yoga every day except Sunday. I have lost another 14 lbs since the end of June and I am loving myself so much more.

I have some post scattered throughout my blog about my journey to health- maybe I should move them all to one page. Hmmm an idea.

I will be here in Utah cheering you on and hiking my way to wellness.

Way to go, Stephanie!!

Bryce D. said...

Aaron! If you need Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper and can't find it anywhere in your house CALL ME! I can help! =)

Rebekkah Monaghan said...

I also am a sugar addict.I higly doubt that I will completly give up refined sugar but here is what helps me. TO combat sugar splurges that if I have a varity in the house I will only eat a litte at a time. Also to help cut the sweet stuff I make hpomemake treats not as good as cutting it out completly but it cuts down the amount I have.

Ben and Maggie said...

Stephanie, I am a sugar addict too. I feel you. The funny thing is Ben turned me into one...

I did a beet cleanse once (super easy) and it reduced my cravings big time. Before I was starting to get sugar migraines and I had not history of headaches. Crazy! Soda is no problem. I just bake and bake and bake. I used to give it all away, but now I eat it all. Good luck with your detox. I'm thinking about it, once I'm done nursing. Excuses, excuses...